Sunday, January 4, 2009

The New Video

I know, I know, it's been a long time. I could have blogged about my round on 10/13/08 at Butter Brook Golf Club -- which featured an eagle-birdie duo on 16 & 17 -- but I never really flirted with par (3-under on those 2 holes saved the round). I also could have blogged about my round at New York Country Club the day prior to my brother's wedding, but the wedding itself got in the way. Maybe some pictures from the event will do?

Bryan (the groom) on the driving range at sunrise.

Intimidating approach to the par-5 9th hole.
Looking back out from the 9th green; you can see the
NYC skyline in the distance (though not well in the picture).
Well-groomed course with beautiful October foliage.
Left-to-right: Scott, Phil, Bryan, Chris, and Bob.


This is what happens when you live in New England -- the golf season is all too short. Just yesterday, though, I went to the range with my brother to hit balls (because next year I am reaching even par), and we did a little video swing analysis of our own. We definitely have different swings:




Scott, back view, January 2009.


Bryan, back view, January 2009.


Scott, front view, January 2009.

Bryan, front view, January 2009.


My swing has definitely changed since I last did some home videos (see "The Mission"). My posture is definitely better, less hunched over. I also think I've gotten smoother, especially on the backswing, and there's less sway. These seem like good things. It keeps me hopeful.

While I'm here making a winter-time post, I wanted to pass along 2 books I received for Christmas that I'm enjoying:

World Atlas of Golf (Rowlinson) is a combination of golf history, course design, politics, and wonderful hole-by-hole walk-throughs of the best and most famous golf courses in the world. I saw it in Barnes and Noble and was engrossed for a good 20 minutes; then actually received it on X-mas day and have continued to be fascinated.

Follow the Roar (Smiley) is the story of the author's year spent tracking Tiger in every tournament he played in 2008 -- a brief but truly amazing year. So far I'm through the first 2-1/2 tournaments, and it's a good, quick read; entertaining and inciteful.

I suspect there will be another good-sized gap between posts, as the next time I expect to play is in April/May. Unless I end up in Arizona next weekend... doubtful, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment