Monday, January 5, 2009

The Must Plays

I know what you're saying: "Wow! Two posts in two days, and it isn't even golf season!" I know. What can I say? I have golf on the mind.

I decided (a few days late) on my New Year's Resolutions -- specifically, what my must play courses of the year are, and also my must plays for the next 5 years. Here are the groundrules:
  • "Must plays" for the year (or the next 5 years) cannot be courses that I played last year.
  • "Must plays" for this year should all be fairly local so that it's realistic; must plays for the 5-year list can be a bit more extended.
  • I want to be somewhat pragmatic (you'll see what I mean).
Here we go....

MUST PLAYS FOR 2009

1. Olde Marsh Country Club, Wells, ME. One of my favorite places in the world (Wells, site of my childhood vacations) is now home to #10 on golf.com's list of the Best New Courses You Can Play. That's incredible. If there has EVER been a "must play," then this is it.

2. Red Tail Golf Club, Devens, MA. I last played there in August 2007, so it makes the cut. Red Tail is consistently ranked one of the top public courses in the state, and this year it is hosting the U.S. Women's Amateur Public Links -- no small feat. I have to say, my experience is that it is a nice but not great course; I think I need to give it another chance.

3. Cyprian Keyes Golf Club, Boylston, MA. Another course that consistently scores highly in the supposed rankings that I have not played in some time. I need a refresher.

4. Fox Hopyard Golf Club, East Haddam, CT. My brother moved to New York. This is about 1/2 way in between Boston and NYC, and my dad raves about it's sister club (Crumpin-Fox in Bernardston, MA).

5. Presidents' Golf Course, Quincy, MA. This is the pragmatic entry. It's 9 holes, not that well rated, often crowded. But I drive right by it every day and never even think about playing it. Well that's stupid. I need to at least give it a chance before I quit on it entirely.

MUST PLAYS FOR 2009-2013

1. Chambers Bay, University Place, WA. #1 on virtually every single list for best new course last year. Already named the site of the 2015 U.S. Open. Peak season rates are just $139 with $69 for replay. Enough said.

2. Sunday River Golf Club (Bethel, ME) and
3. Sugarloaf Golf Club (Carrabassett Valley, ME). Sister courses based around ski resorts, and according to my uncle 2 of the most beautiful courses anywhere (and he would probably know).

4. The Golf Club at Mansion Ridge, Monroe, NY. Highly touted by my brother and his buddy Chris. I trust them.

5. Bretwood Golf Course (North Course), Keene, NH. Only one on the list that I have played. It remains my favorite layout of any course I've ever played. It's been too long since I've been there... I'll be back.

1 comment:

  1. P.S. You might notice an addition to the blog at the bottom of the page: The "Boston-Westchester Tour" Leaderboard. The B-W Tour is a creation of my brother's designed to keep our friends in some form of competition; for every round played each person puts in $1, and the player with the best "fair score" (net score relative to course rating rather than par) wins the pot at the end of each month. At some point I'll profile all the players. In the meantime, you can scroll back through the 2008 scores to see how things look. Enjoy!

    (B-W Tour leaderboard is courtesy of oobgolf.com.)

    ReplyDelete