Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Swing Analysis (2013 Edition)

"I figured it out!"

I've said that probably two dozen times over the years with reference to my golf swing.  My brother has said it at least that many to me.  Our dad has easily doubled that.

We're always (eventually) wrong.  But that doesn't mean it's not worth working on.

This year's "I figured it out" moment came courtesy of a Sean O'Hair tip in Golf Digest.  You can see the video version below.  What he says isn't revolutionary, but it's the imagery of the hands and clubhead being on train-tracks on the take away that really clicked for me:


My problem historically has been what O'Hair refers to as "sucking in;" that move gets the club too far inside, and I have to make a big adjustment to get on plane at the top of the swing.  Sometimes that works, but sometimes it doesn't; just depends on my timing.

So for the past month or so at the range I've been rehearsing the "train tracks" take away over and over.  Below you'll see some video of my swing with this mental image at the forefront of my mind:

7 iron

Driver

A couple of things I learned from this: (1) this is definitely better, less of a wrap-around take away than I've had previously, and leads to a controlled but powerful weight transfer (especially with the driver); and (2) no matter what I think I'm feeling, the video tells a different story -- I'm still too far inside.

7-iron swing sequence - click to make larger
Ultimately I think I'm doing a better job with the first 25% of the backswing, but then I go right back to rotating the club as I continue backward as opposed to lifting it.  The past 2 range sessions (after these images/videos) I've been focusing on the full backswing, and I feel it becoming ingrained.  The question now is how long I can keep it that way before the old habits creep back in.

No comments:

Post a Comment