Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Must Plays: 2010

Like last year, there are a few courses that I really feel like should be "must plays" for this year (or sometime in the next 5 years, depending on the location).  Let's run through the ones I played from last year's list, and set up new lists for this year.

MUST PLAYS 2009: COURSES PLAYED


1. Old Marsh Country Club, Wells, ME.  Played on: 7/5/09.  Score: 89 (+19).
A very difficult course, narrow with several holes that seem to funnel balls toward the woods and marshes; lots of water, as you might guess from the name.  I had SIX penalty shots.  I figure you have to play this track 3-4 times before you really get the hang of the proper course management.  However it's in great shape for a young course, has nice visuals, and is definitely a good bang for your buck ($69 with cart during the week; $89 on weekends).

2. Red Tail Golf Club, Devens, MA.  Played on: 7/25/09.  Score: 75 (+3).
You can read the 2009 recap for more details, but suffice to say the course was in great shape (just a week after hosting the U.S. Women's Public Links), and I was more impressed with it this time around.  It has great hole diversity, plays challenging but still fair (fairways tend to funnel the ball to the middle, as opposed to what happens at Old Marsh), and obviously I scored well... so yes, I will likely be back this year.


That's all I made it to last year, so obviously there will be some carry-overs this year.  Remember, here are the groundrules:
  • "Must plays" for the year (or the next 5 years) cannot be courses that I played last year.
  • "Must plays" for this year should all be fairly local so that it's realistic (with one regional exception -- see below); must plays for the 5-year list can be a bit more extended.
  • I want to be somewhat pragmatic.
MUST PLAYS FOR 2010

1. Cyprian Keyes Golf Club, Boylston, MA.  One of the carry-overs from last year that I didn't make it to.  Like Red Tail, it's a course that I don't remember liking all that much, but is consistently ranked highly in the New England and Massachusetts course rankings.  Let's hope I find I am as wrong in my memory about the Keyes as I was about Red Tail.

2. Newport National Golf Club, Middletown, RI.  I played this one 2 years ago and loved it, and it's time for a trip back.  In fact, Newport National and I already have a date -- May 2nd, when the TOUR makes a trek there.  Looking forward to it immensely.

3. Fox Hopyard Golf Club, East Haddam, CT.  Another carry-over.  My brother and father played this one last year, but I wasn't able to make it; they raved about it, which only reinforced my need to play it.  Hopefully my brother and I can find a time to meet here sometime this summer.

4. Palmer Legends Golf Course, The Villages, FL.  "Florida?" you say.  Well, it happened -- my parents moved to The Villages.  They're officially retired and I assume are wearing white pants and shoes full time now.  Palmer Legends is the top championship course down there.  It should be a no-brainer at some point when I make the trip to see them.

5. Atlantic Country Club, Plymouth, MA.  The TOUR decided to move the club championship this year from Pinehills to Atlantic Country Club -- a decision I can't say I totally agree with.  I've never played ACC (does anyone call it that?) but it's supposed to be a nice upscale course, and I'll obviously have to get out there at least once before the tournament comes around.

MUST PLAYS FOR 2010-2014 (no changes since none were played last year)

1. Chambers Bay, University Place, WA. #1 on virtually every single list for best new course last year. Already named the site of the 2015 U.S. Open. Peak season rates are just $139 with $69 for replay. Enough said.

2. Sunday River Golf Club (Bethel, ME) and
3. Sugarloaf Golf Club (Carrabassett Valley, ME). Sister courses based around ski resorts, and according to my uncle 2 of the most beautiful courses anywhere (and he would probably know).

4. The Golf Club at Mansion Ridge, Monroe, NY. Highly touted by my brother and his buddy Chris. I trust them.

5. Bretwood Golf Course (North Course), Keene, NH. Only one on the list that I have played. It remains my favorite layout of any course I've ever played. It's been too long since I've been there... I'll be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment