Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Aerated Greens

Masters weekend.  It always inspires me to get out on the course, even in the sub-par conditions that New England weather usually gives this time of year.  But here in 2010 things have been different; although we had drenching rains for several weeks, we've also had warm temperatures, and so it was mid-60s and sunny when I got out for my third round of the year early on Masters Sunday (i.e. before the TV coverage started).  Did I have an even par round in me this early in the year?  Here's what unfolded....

Pinehills Golf Club (Nicklaus Course), Plymouth, MA - April 11, 2010

I've played the Nicklaus course 5 times before, and I have never played poorly on it.  Never.  I shot 74 (+2) the first time I played it.  "It suits my eye," as they sometimes say.  But this was the 3rd round of the year, and -- I'll be honest -- I didn't really keep my skills up at the range this winter in the way that I did last year.  So I didn't have high expectations.  And to top that off, the greens were aerated 6 days before my round, so putting wasn't going to be smooth.  I was there to have fun and enjoy being outside.

It turns out the round was slightly better than I expected.

1 A nice gentle 384 yard par-4 from the Blue tees.  After a pretty terrible range session before the round (which consisted of mostly pull-hooks with the driver), I was tempted to hit an iron and just get out there.  But like I said, I was there to have fun.  So driver it was, and though it wasn't my best shot it did find the fairway about 270 yards out, leaving a 53-degree wedge into the green.  I pulled the approach a little but still hit the target, leaving about 30 feet in for birdie.  As I said before, the greens were aerated that week -- they weren't in terrible condition, but still a bit bumpy -- and my 1st putt came up about 4 feet short.  The 2nd one bounced straight left about 2 inches before reaching the hole.  I hate 3 putts.  Score: 5.  Round: +1.

2 A par 5 that for some reason I always drive the ball left, and I did it again here.  I ended up in the rough behind a tree, forcing a punch out, though I was able to advance the ball to about 145 yards short of the green.  I hit a nice 8-iron in to about 15 feet and 2 putt for par.  Score: 5.  Round: +1.

3 A long and challenging par 3, measuring 221 yards, with a large bunker that protects the front center of the green.  I hit 2-hybrid dead at the stick (the ball mark was about 2 feet in front) and ended up on the back of the green.  My 30 footer just scooted right of the hole at the last minute, and I tapped in for par.  Score: 3.  Round: +1.

4 The fourth is a nice dogleg left par 4, with a carry over a waste area on the approach to the green.  I hit my drive a little more left than I wanted to (and almost rolled into the waste area), but actually ended up with a great angle for another 53-degree wedge approach.  Hit the center of the green and 2-putt.  Score: 4.  Round: +1.

5 The 5th is probably my favorite hole on the course, if only because I've played it well in the past.  I hit an ideal drive (first time I really felt comfortable with the driver all day) 290 yards down the center of the fairway, again leaving a gap wedge to the green.  Stuck it in there at about 10 feet, but missed the birdie opportunity and settled for par.  Score: 4.  Round: +1.

6 A nice, slightly uphill dogleg left par 5 that clocks in at 521 yards.  The fairway is protected by bunkers shortish left and longish right -- I carried the left bunkers to leave an ideal approach shot.  My 4-iron found the right fringe, and I easily 2-putt from there for birdie.  Score: 4.  Round: E.

7 The first time I played this hole I came the closest I've ever come to a hole-in-one (a topic for another blog?).  This time... not so much.  My 8-iron came up well short of the green; from there I made a nice pitch up to about 4 feet... but missed the putt when for the 2nd time in the round my ball bounced straight left on an aeration hole.  Score: 4.  Round: +1.

8 A 361 yard par-4 that plays tough because the green is capped more than most on this course and protected by a deep bunker on the right side.  I found the rough left of the fairway on the tee ball, and then the aforementioned bunker greenside.  I got out fine, but had 20+ feet for par and had to settle for bogey.  Score: 5.  Round: +2.

9 Like the 5th, I've always seemed to play this hole well.  That was the case again here as I smashed a drive 275 yards right down the middle, leaving just a 60-degree wedge in, and I stuck that to about 5 feet.  No bounces left this time.  Score: 3.  Round: +1.

10 After a quick hot dog, I got right back to driving the ball well -- this one was my best of the day, 305 yards down the middle.  Another gap wedge to the middle of the green and 2 putts for par.  Score: 4.  Round: +1.

11 A sharp dogleg left par 5 that measures 514 yards on the scorecard but plays a lot less than that if you can cut the corner.  I was playing with a member at Pinehills who said that when Jim Rice plays there he actually goes straight at the green and often has less than 50 yards left after his drive.  I wasn't quite so bold, but did manage to get over the trees and leave about 195 yards.  With the pin back and the wind in my face I hit 2-hybrid and found the back of the green.  I like 2-putt birdies.  Score: 4.  Round: E.

12 A tough par 4, playing 436 yards with an approach that is essentially all-carry over a valley between the end of the fairway and the green.  I hit my first poor drive in a while -- a pull left, reminiscent of the range earlier.  I had about 185 in from the rough and hit 5-iron just onto the front; it had a little cut spin and then took a slope down to the far right of the green (pin was left), leaving a long 50 footer back up the hill.  I ran that by the hole 10 feet and missed the come back.  I hate 3-putts.  Score: 5.  Round: +1.

13 A 181-yard par-3 with a somewhat shallow green.  I hit 6-iron pin-high but about 20 feet left.  For the only time all day, though, the putt found the center of the cup.  Score: 2.  Round: E.

14 My nemesis hole on the course.  I have never made par.  It's a short par-4 (just 312 yards) but you can't see the green from the pin because the sight line is protected by a huge mound and there are bunkers on both the right (short) and left (long) of the fairway.  On top of that the green is well-bunkered and very shallow.  I hit 2-hybrid off the tee and pull-hooked it into a bush.  Punched out -- barely; I still didn't have a line to the green.  Had to punch it again, this time down in front about 30 yards from the flag.  My pitch with my 60-degree hit the stick and bounced away 20 feet.  2 putts.  Score: 6.  Round: +2.

15 An all-carry 166 yard par-3 over a large waste area.  I hit a perfect 9-iron (with the wind) to about 6 feet.  Didn't make it.  I'd like to blame the aeration, but I think it was the stroke.  Score: 3.  Round: +2.

16 A dogleg left par 5, and at this point I knew I would probably need eagle here -- 17 and 18 are two of the tougher par-4's on the course.  But 16 is a great opportunity.  The tee is highly elevated, which gives a big advantage to any effort to cut the corner.  The wind was favorable.  In a similar situation in the past I'd managed to get my drive to the 150 yard markers.  I picked my line and gave a great swing -- just a little draw, high trajectory... but pulled just a shade more than I wanted.  There was no way to know if it made it or not, so I ended up hitting a provisional out safely (sort of -- it was in the fairway trap straight out).  When we got around the corner there was no ball in the fairway, which meant I didn't make it.  I did find it, just past the tree line, presumably after trickling through a few branches.  I was able to advance it but had no shot at the green; ended up in a bunker about 50 yards out.  From there I hit the green and made a long lag up to tap in distance for par.  Score: 5.  Round: +2.

17  Birdie-birdie?  It would take a better drive than I hit.  The pull-hook was back, and I was blocked out behind a mound and trees.  I hit a low 7-iron to well right of the green, then chunked a pitch into a bunker, but did get up and down from there.  Score: 5.  Round: +3.  Mission: Failed.

18 At least I didn't fold.  Perfect drive down the middle, 290 yards.  Easy gap wedge to the front of the green.  2 putts.  Score: 4.  Round: +3.

Was it another "round that could have been?"  Of course.  (Aren't they all?)  Without aeration marks, would I have made 3-4 more putts?  I think I might have.  I know this -- I have never hit my irons that well.  I hit 14 greens -- 3 more than I have ever hit before.  I drove the ball great in the middle of the round, but so-so on the bookends.  If only for that damn 14th hole.

It is going to happen.  Someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment