Sunday, February 5, 2012

The New Year

A few thoughts on 2011 as I try to kill time before the Super Bowl....

  • It wasn't my best golf season.  Although I had one round that was technically the closest I've ever been to even par, it was a little fluky (hinging on an eagle on the 16th hole to get back to +1), and the rest of the year was definitely a step backward.  My handicap index rose from 5.1 to 6.7 over the course of the year, and almost every statistic was worse than the year before:
  • I've been to the driving range twice and played 2 rounds of golf (in The Villages) so far in 2012.  One thing I immediately noticed at the range was that my grip had gotten way too strong, which likely was a big contributing factor to my pull-hook tendency last year.  It cliche to say that everything starts with grip, but it's also true -- in my 2 rounds so far this year I virtually eliminated the pull-hook off the tee.  
  • I was actually very happy with how I played in Florida, but my bunker play was absolutely horrendous -- I hit 5 greenside bunkers, and every time it took me more than 1 shot to get out, and 4 of those times took 3 shots.  That's a minimum of 9 shots lost over 2 rounds.  In beginning of the year I expect my short game to be weak, but come on.  That has to change.
  • Big news for 2012: I will probably be playing a round at Turnberry's Ailsa Course, site of the 2009 (British) Open Championship.  You will most definitely be getting a blog post after that.
  • Prediction for today: Patriots 27, Giants 23.

No comments:

Post a Comment