Saturday, June 12, 2010

The New Irons

The last post about my round at TPC Boston was actually my first with my new set of irons, which I realized I haven't blogged about yet.  So, without further ado, here's What's In My Bag (blatantly stolen from Golf Digest):




DRIVER
I bought this Titleist 907 D2 two years ago from my brother's friend Chris, who has a certain connection when it comes to golf clubs (and apparel... and courses.  Maybe we'll get to that another time.)  It's a 9.5 loft, with a Fujikura S-flex shaft.  It's the first 460cc driver I've ever had.  Although my driving accuracy is technically unchanged since making the switch (42.8% with the 907 vs. 42.5% with my old driver), my misses are far less severe.  Average driving distance: 265 yards.

HYBRIDS
I bought the 2-hybrid (Hogan Edge CFT, 19-degrees, stiff steel shaft) a few years ago and still love it -- it's my go-to club in almost every situation.  I made the switch from a 3-wood to the 1-hybrid (Ping G10, 15-degree, stock graphite S-flex shaft) last year with the idea that it would be easier to hit off the fairway.  I was inconsistent with it last year, but I've found the groove with it in 2010 (48% accuracy off the tee, average 245 yards).

IRONS
I got fitted this year and ended up choosing the new Mizuno MP-58s, with KBS S-flex shafts.  I loved my old Hogan Apex irons, but it was time for some new technology.  I've been in love with the Mizunos ever since seeing them in the "Hot List" issue of Golf Digest.  I hit these with about 5-10 yards more carry per club, and I'm still adjusting a little to the new distances, but I really love my ball flight with them.  It's only been 5 rounds, but my 2010 GIR on par 3's has gone from 28% to 45% since making the change. 

WEDGES
I added a 60-degree Vokey wedge 2 summers ago prior to my round at Bethpage Black.  The 54-degree went in my bag at the same time as the new irons (a switch from an old 53-degree Cleveland wedge).  Since then?  Scrambling percentage is up from 18% to 21%, and sand saves are up to 38% from 32%.  I can't see ever using another wedge besides a Vokey.

PUTTER
Odyssey White Steel #2, 34".   Earlier this year I considered making a switch, but I found my rhythm again after the round at TPC.  In the last 5 rounds I'm averaging 1.79 putts per hole, 2.03 per GIR.


I started playing the Titleist Pro-V1 about 3-4 years ago, and like the Vokey wedges I can't foresee ever making a change; I prefer the high numbers and mark them in red or orange by dotting the "i's."

My current divot tool is a sturdy (and sharp) one from the Links at Lighthouse Sound.  I like to use foreign coins as ball markers -- these two are Icelandic, and I've been using them since a trip there in the fall of 2008.

I recently started using the Pride Golf ProLength 2-3/4" (yellow) tees, which I find to be more sturdy than the mixed bag tees I previously had.  I also carry a copy of The Rules of Golf in my bag -- just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment